Club History

The Northbrook Woman’s Club (NWC) and the Northbrook Woman’s Club Foundation (NWCF) of today was founded as the Northbrook Junior Woman’s Club on October 5, 1955 by six young women who attracted 18 others by placing an ad in the local newspaper.  The first monthly meeting place was at the old medical center on Shermer Road.  The club was first conceived as a service organization as it is today.  Early projects included staffing the library story hour, the offices for Northbrook Community Nurses and the North Shore Mental Health Center; and attending meetings of the Village Board, the Library Board, the Planning Commission, the Park Board, local school boards, and the Safety Commission.  Early club membership’s participation played an important role in shaping the community of Northbrook as we know it today.

Michigan Shores Country Club hosted the first benefit in March, 1956, with a profit of $251, followed in the fall with a dinner dance raising $603.  A Bonwit Teller Fashion Show brought in an additional $452.  In 1963 the club started its own scholarship fund which continues to be our largest philanthropic contribution to date with a total of $575,000 proudly awarded to local students. This fund is supported by various Ways & Means projects such as the annual Benefit gala, candy sales, cookbook sales, holiday boutiques, and raffle tickets.  In addition, NWCF has awarded grants to various organizations and projects in the metropolitan area such as Youth Services of Northbrook/Glenview, Family Service Center, North Suburban YMCA, North Shore Senior Center, NCDAA, Josselyn Center for Mental Health and YWCA Evanston/North Shore.  The total of these contributions to date is over $425,000.

Since the club’s founding, Northbrook has grown from 3,300 residents to nearly 34,000 residents and the club has grown from 24 members to 222 members with active, new, sustaining, or honorary status each one dedicated to preserving our mission: The Northbrook Woman’s Club/Foundation is an organization dedicated to supporting the community through philanthropy and service, while fostering personal fulfillment through shared interests.


PAST PRESIDENTS

2015-2017    Mary Beth Smith​

2013-2015    Elisa Glass

2011-2013    Buffy Ervin

2009-2011    Sue Woll Silver

2007-2009    Jean Imperato

2005-2007    Karen Long

2003-2005    Valerie Kistenbroker

2001-2003    Debby Hass

1999-2001    Lynnae Nekervis Prokopow

1997-1999    Ann H. James

1995-1997    Sue Bowen

1993-1995    Charlotte Hothan Ang

1991-1993    Phyllis M. Zubulake

1989-1991    Carol Rohrabaugh

1987-1989    Pat Harms (Lewis)

1985-1987    Gerry Mansfield

1983-1985    Joann Rickel

1981-1983    Cre Ledbetter

1979-1981    Jan Metzger

1977-1979    Bonnie Patterson

1975-1977    Julie Peterson

1974-1975    Marty Jackson

1972-1974    Agnes H. Armstrong

1970-1972    Barbara Kearney

1969-1970    Shirley Wink

1967-1969    Danna Maze-Archibald

1965-1967    Marilyn Ross

May, 1965    Dorie Schultz

19641965     Liz Coggin (Stone)

1962-1964    Joanne – Henning

1960-1962    Betty Deen Cowan

1959-1960    Ginny Borgard

1958-1959    Vicki Butler

1956-1958    Madeline Fox

1955-1956    Alice Brewer